I recently received the latest Toledo Howler, a newsletter dedicated to tourism in the southern-most district of Belize. The Howler is always an impressive journal, it is an eclectic collection of articles put together by Rob Hirons, the owner of The Lodge at Big Falls, located just outside of Punta Gorda town. Every issue has great articles and information.
Belize is divided into districts, and Toledo is the most-like-the-way-Belize-used-to-be. Those of you who have read this blog in the past know that I am always talking up Toledo. I love Toledo.
This issue has articles on:
– Growing up in an East Indian village in rural Toledo in the fifties and sixties
– New Findings at Nim Li Punit
– Battle of the Drums
– 13th National Tourism Awards for Belize
– Harpy Eagles in Belize
– The Maya House of Cacao
– Golden Stream Spice Farm
– Toledo Sustainable Tourism Project
– Guifiti- A Gift of the Plant Spirits – a kind of bitters made by the Garifuna healers
Plus these handy documents:
– List of Licensed Tour Operators of Toledo
– Contact info for all Belize Tourism operators and guides
– Map of Punta Gorda town
-Punta Gorda bus schedule table
If you are planning to explore Belize’s least visited region, this is a valuable resource.